Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oh, look... it's my bellybutton.

Every year the MADC does publicity for the Panto, but this year it's even more important since we're MOVING to a different location - the MFCC tent in Ta' Qali.

The publicity photo shoot was, um, interesting.


Us female chorus members got to wear costumes that, on par with Panto standard, revealed our midriffs. Mine hasn't seen the light of day since I was eight years old, so I was worried that the photographer would have a problem with the glare...

Let me just say that some women look great with their midriffs exposed, but I am most certainly not one of them, which is why I don't wear bikinis. I have neither the figure nor the tan, and a year of marriage (and my husband's cooking) has added several kilos. To add further to my humiliation, one of the ladies doing wardrobe walked by while I was looking despairingly in the mirror while in costume, patted me on the belly and said, "Well, this [the costume] will help you get rid of that [my belly]". Niiiiiiice. I can't tell you what that did for my self-esteem.

All of the girls in the chorus, even the skinny ones, were self-consciously holding their arms over their tummies while we were standing around waiting for our turn in front of the camera, because there were lots of people around - the male chorus members, the main actors, the lights/camera/wardrobe/makeup people and so on. But, eventually you kind of get to a place of, hey, they've all seen my tummy by now, might as well give up.

Eventually it was all over, and it was such a relief to put a T-shirt on and once again conceal my bellybutton and associated wobbly bits. Maybe I should have chosen a less... revealing... hobby.

No comments: