Saturday, December 27, 2008

Auto-pilot

Now that we've been performing for a while (six shows and two dress rehearsals), the initial excitement is wearing off. Some nights I would rather curl up under a blanket than strut my stuff on stage. But not going on is not an option!

I have found, though, that once Act 1 gets underway, then I don't mind, no matter how tired or fed up I was to start with. A sort of auto-pilot kicks in between scenes - the mad rush off stage, scrambling out of the costume, scrambling into the next one, getting into position for the next entrance - but it's not really needed during the scenes. Even if I'm standing backstage wondering why I am about to get out there in front of a thousand people in a silly and unflattering costume... once I'm actually on stage, all I feel is exhilaration. And occasionally embarrassment if it's a belly-baring costume.

The song-and-dance numbers are the best - I love performing them so much that I enjoy each one every single time. Being able to sing and dance on stage makes all the boring and tedious rehearsal time over the last three months worth it. Oh yeah. Just call me twinkle-toes.

No comments: