Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Painted lady

The promised stage make-up tutorial never materialised, so I have been picking up hints and tips from various people such as my dressing-room-mates and my sisters. This week I also surfed over to expertvillage.com and watched a twenty-part tutorial video about stage make-up, so now I feel a little better about my somewhat deficient make-up-application skills.

Until now, my make-up routine (say if we were going out to watch a movie) was this:

  • Put on brown eyeshadow


For Panto, it has grown into this:

  • Use cleanser
  • Put on moisturiser
  • Foundation
  • Concealer
  • White eye-shadow at inner corners of eyes
  • Light colour of eye-shadow
  • Medium colour of eye-shadow
  • Dark colour of eye-shadow
  • Shimmery colour of eye-shadow
  • Liquid eye-liner on upper lids
  • Pen eye-liner on lower lids
  • Mascara, mascara, mascara
  • Red lipstick
  • Shimmery lip-gloss
  • Bronzer
  • Rouge
  • Setting powder


I don't really mind doing it all, but it's a bit of a pain if I'm in a hurry or crowded with a bunch of other people around limited mirror space (try seven girls and half-a-dozen boys in front of two mirrors). When I do it quietly, it's actually kind of fun.

Before this, I didn't own much make-up, just a few basics that I rarely used. I have bought so much make-up in the last ten days, it's ridiculous (I now own everything in the list above). At least, given the amount of make-up that I usually wear (none), this lot will last me several years.

I did already have an eye-liner pencil but I'd never used it, and when I tried putting it on last week I couldn't get it to leave a mark. So I went and bought liquid eye-liner. I was practicing using it at home a couple of days ago when a retired neighbour rang the doorbell to leave a message – now when he sees me in the street, he still looks at me funny. I hope he doesn't think I eat kittens.

Actually I am rubbish at putting the liquid stuff on, so the eye-make-up sub-routine actually looks more like this:

  • Forget about putting on eye-shadow first
  • Put liquid eye-liner on right eye
  • Blink
  • Make a mess on right eye
  • Say some rude words
  • Put liquid eye-liner on left eye
  • Observe shaky hand
  • Make bigger mess on left eye
  • Say even ruder words
  • Look around to check if anyone is watching the entertainment
  • Use eye-make-up remover to remove errant liquid eye-liner
  • Put pen eye-liner on lower lids
  • Apply eye-shadow
  • Apply mascara


Forget practice makes perfect, I'm actually getting worse at this as time goes by. Oh well, I suppose that my fine motor skills could use the exercise.

No comments: