Wednesday, December 3, 2008

An unexpected present

Today's rehearsal was brilliant.

Mostly we did scenes involving the mains (the actors who have big parts) so us chorus got to take it easy, aaaaaaand... chorus got to go home early! We were so excited you'd have thought Christmas had come early (well I suppose you could see we were given a gift of unexpected free time).

The party animals immediately made arrangements to go clubbing or whatever it is young people call it these days. Call me old and boring, but I prefer to go home. (cue shouts of "You're old and boring!" from the wings).

So, since I found myself home with a spare hour and some spare energy, I set about attending to my neglected housewifely duties - I tackled the pending washing-up, hung up the load of laundry that I did early this morning before leaving for work, and put away the groceries that we bought last week-end. So domestic.

Now, feeling unusually virtuous, I am in bed with a laptop and two puzzled cats who are surprised that I came home so long before midnight. Aaaaaaah.


Today, right before we performed the last number in rehearsal, the director gave us a pep talk. Well, really he just warned us that these last couple of weeks before the show opens are going to be pretty hard, especially when we get to move into the MFCC in Ta' Qali and all the sets have to be installed (they are MASSIVE!). But even so, he still managed to make us feel excited about it - our hard work is paying off, the show is taking shape, and we are looking forward to having fun on that stage!

Today I learnt a new phrase - 'Costume Parade'. I asked one of my fellow chorus girls what it meant, because she's been in Panto before. She explained that it is part of the technical rehearsals - they kit out everyone in the costumes for each scene, and check everyone's placement on the stage, and the effect of the lighting. This is to make sure that there aren't any horrible colour clashes and so on. A good idea, but I'm not looking forward to the technicals because from my limited past experience, they mean hours of standing on the stage, unable to move around, while the light technicians work their magic. But hey, it's all part of the process!

Time to turn in... tomorrow's rehearsal schedule calls for much chorus involvement, and it's going to be a late night.

No comments: