Sunday, December 21, 2008

Painted faces on parade

Apparently tonight the cast of the 'rival' Panto are going to be in the audience - they have the night off and will open their show tomorrow.

We are a bit nervous because we want them to see us do a good job and be impressed *grin*.

A friend of mine asked me if I 'expected trouble' but my response was, 'as if!'. I don't think anyone from either cast would try to disrupt either show. At the first sign of rivalry several weeks ago, involving some unpleasantness from both sides, the heads of both companies spoke to each other. We all got a huge ħasla that day and I imagine they did too.

After being put through the Panto mill, I don't feel any animosity towards 'them', but instead respect and, strangely enough, solidarity, because right now we are all going through the same experiences of grueling rehearsals, tension-fraught shows, frantic costume changes and so on. We have too much in common!

I am planning on going to see their show after our run closes, because they will keep going a while longer after we stop. I am looking forward to it because I love Panto. I intend to be a model Panto audience member - I shall boo the baddie, cheer the heroes, yell "It's behind you!", shout the call-back, and sing the song at the end at the top of my lungs. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll even catch a sweetie - being in a Panto audience is so much fun.

I hope they enjoy the show tonight.

No comments: