Saturday, December 13, 2008

Costume parade

Today we spent the early afternoon trying on almost every costume in the show – and with a cast of around forty people, that's a lot of costumes!

I am pleased with our chorus costumes – the one that exposes my belly is actually surprisingly flattering, and the one that's incredibly short is quite alright too (the tights help, heheh). The rest of the costumes are also comfortable, which is really nice and much appreciated. One of my costumes needs some minor tweaking, that's all. I haven't had made-to-measure clothes since my mother used to make my dresses as a kid, it's nice because everything fits well everywhere (and can be altered if it doesn't).

I have an emergency kit – white elastic and black elastic (tan elastic not available), and lots of different sizes of safety pins, and some needles and thread – but it looks like it won't be required.

The dame's costumes are INCREDIBLE, and the costumes for the other principal characters are also fantastic. I don't think I have ever seen so many sequins and so much glitter, and sparkly material and lots of other things that I'm not allowed to talk about before the show opens *grin*. I can't wait to see them all on stage, it's going to look great.

I have been warned by fellow chorus members who have been in Panto before that the costume changes between scenes will be madness. I guess that part of the problem is that if you have fourteen female chorus members, then that's fourteen look-alike costumes, which means fourteen skirts, fourteen tops, fourteen sets of peripheral costume bits and pieces, twenty-eight shoes... and there's several sets of costumes!

The main characters have troubles of their own, as their costumes are usually more elaborate (and uncomfortable!) than ours - and the dame is in a class of her own, with big dresses, big wigs, big everything. But it's all worth it in the end because a stage full of costume-clad actors is quite a sight. Come and see for yourself - tickets from http://www.pantomalta.com.

2 comments:

Shazzy :) said...

Short points just FYI:

Re emergency kit, thankfully Nella and other wardrobe crew will be there throughout the run with their own emergency kits of the sort, so any repairs to rips and tears and so on are usually efficiently carried out by them.

And as regards finding our costumes, thankfully there won't be the same kind of madness as there was at the costume parade, since we will all have claimed our costumes and placed them in our respective dressing rooms by then :) Issa I dunno how the dressing rooms will be- it can range from 3 per room to the entire female chorus in one room - but that kind of affects how easily you will locate your costume in between scenes.

MaltaGirl said...

I put my kit together because during the photo shoot Nella wanted to safety-pin my costume but the backstage crew had appropriated them all to hang the backdrop - so once bitten twice shy!

Glad to hear about the costume organisation, although am still in trepidation about our very last, very quick costume change... :-)