Monday, December 15, 2008

Interview: Clive

Name: Clive Piscopo
Panto Role: Chorus member
Non-Panto Role: Teacher of English language and literature, and writer

How did you come to be in the theatre scene?
It started at school concerts, if you can count them. I remember going to Catechism classes at age ten, and I was cast as a drug dealer for a performance. I don't know what the teacher saw in me, because I was always a bit of a quiet boy, but this might explain why I have been fascinated with evil characters from an early age! After I finished my second degree, I felt it was time to get back to theatre, so I started again by debuting on the Manoel theatre stage in 'Caravaggio l-Inkjesta'. I haven't stopped since!

How about Panto, how did you come to be involved in it?
I got involved almost straight away, I auditioned while we were already rehearsing Caravaggio. I wanted to experience musical theatre, so I emailed Alan Montanaro, and he suggested that I audition for Panto because they needed chorus boys. I did, and was chosen, so I got to be in last year's Panto, 'Pirates of the Mediterranean'.

What is your favourite genre in theatre?
Rather than a genre, I like good plays and good theatre. I've always thought that a good play touches the mind and/or the heart, and should be both enjoyable and challenging.

What has been your most embarrassing theatrical moment so far?
I nearly fell down the steps during a Panto walkdown last year. Then of course there's this year's embarrassing costumes...

What has been your best theatrical experience?
Whenever I have learned something new, and thus hopefully moved forward in becoming a better actor.

And what has been your worst theatrical experience?
I have to mention my horrible nerves when I'm about to go on stage! They disappear once I get on stage, but just before I go on it's terrible.

And finally, what has been your most special theatrical experience?
It was the performance of a school play. I had had a story on my mind for five years, and it was a huge relief to finally write it, direct it, act in it, and be able to talk about it. It was a very personal story and the performance seemed to have touched many people in many different ways. Since I believe that a good play touches the mind or heart, that made it all very rewarding.

If you could play any role at all, in any production, what would it be?
I've never really thought about it, but now that I think about it, I would love to play a fully-fledged baddie in a Panto, because I love playing. I'd love to play a manically evil character because that would be so very different to my own personality. Aside from that, I would like to go for challenging and unusual roles, for example Poor Tom in King Lear. Maybe one day even King Lear himself, when I grow old and have a white beard! I really love the scene when he goes mad on the heath – it's so deep and profound, and he finds himself in his madness.

If you could give one piece of advice to a person thinking about getting involved in the world of theatre, what would it be?
Well I'm still just starting out myself! But I would probably say, keep your feet on the ground and enjoy it. Also, be humble, because I believe that you have to be very close to people if you want to then act their emotions on stage. As performers we channel many emotions that we get from real life, so we shouldn't get a diva complex just because we get to be on stage!

Say something nice about someone else in the cast.
I really admire those people - all my fellow cast members - who don't let it go to their heads, and remain humble as performers, and stay sincere.


And finally... what's a phrase that will now forever remind you of this year's Panto?
Jaqaw I has a maħta?

2 comments:

Claire said...

Awww I love Clive, he's so lovable and sweet.
Ps. I adore this blog :)
Will be seeing the Panto tonight along with the boyfriend and the best friend :)

MaltaGirl said...

Yes, Clive is great!

Thanks very much, and hope you all enjoyed the show :-)